Total Pageviews

Monday, March 29, 2010

GRADUATION RIGHTS

Hit by a family emergency which until now continues to drain us physically and financially, to say that we are so emotional for the past week is an understatement. On our way to Cae’s graduation ceremonies that Saturday morning, March 27, 2010, I think I was ready to cry anytime.

The CSA-Biñan audi-gym was cold but was warmed by the presence of happy and proud parents, families, and friends. Yes, even the lolos and lolas, and the entire barangay were there to witness one of the greatest days, if not the greatest, of a high school student. Just one look at the faces of the students all lined up, in their white gowns and caps, oh yes, I was ready to cry.

I remember my own experience 22 years ago. Like a bride, I was the last to walk down the aisle with my parents. It was my moment. But looking back now, it wasn’t just mine. And maybe it really wasn’t mine – but my parents’. It was their moment. And this goes to all parents who were at the audi-gym that morning. Yes, my fellow parents, you have all the right to relish the moment and bask in your glory. This is our moment, too.

My parents didn’t pay for my tuition all throughout my schooling years (except for Grade 1). (For non-Liceans who didn’t know about this, let me explain that first honor students enjoy free tuition for the entire academic year. So, you have to maintain your standing to be able to enjoy this benefit every year.) But it wasn’t all about money. Their support and trust was priceless. I may have been the one who took the quizzes and exams and recited during class, but without my parents, I am not sure if things would have been the same.

Papa and Mama may not have been like other parents who would employ tutors (I didn’t have one), or create test reviewers (my mom wasn’t that strict). They simply let us be. If there was pressure, it was I who put it on myself, and it was only because I wanted to make them proud. What I was to Cae, they weren’t to me, but the values were the same nonetheless.

While I was fixing Cae’s hair that morning, she was admiring their Valedictorian who seemed to get all the awards. I told her, “Ako rin naman nun.” And I was thinking, did my batch mates admire me, too? What did they really feel about me then? Well, in fairness to us, what are you valedictorian for, anyway, if others would get more or as much awards, right?

Anyway, going back to the graduation rites, I got a headache for trying to control my tears. Fortunately, during the valedictory address, there were some who couldn’t contain it any longer. Whew, I was able to let go finally.

I was crying…

Because I am proud of Cae. Sure she didn’t graduate with honors, but how can you take away the glory from a fifteen-year old who survived high school along with 300 others who were older than her?

Because I am proud of how we were able to support her through the years. We are not perfect parents, but we try to be good ones.

Because I didn’t realize how proud I am of her alma mater. CSA-Biñan may just be the best in our place. And I am proud of her friends who are polite and courteous.

Because I am proud of my fellow parents. Congratulations are truly in order.

Because these happy moments were happening amid the trials we are encountering as a family.

To recall the words of the guest speaker, the salutatorian of CSA-Biñan Batch 1999 and a Thomasian (Go USTe!), “Do not pray for lighter load, but for stronger shoulders.”

Maybe God was using him that day to remind us that our financial hardship shall pass, and to allow us to feel happy and relieved even for a while.

Thank you, Lord. We have ended a chapter in our lives, as a new one will begin. Never for a moment did I feel nor think that You are not with us. Yes, You were embracing us all the time...

2 comments:

  1. congrats to the proud parents..and of course to cae.

    parang nangyari rin lahat sa akin ang nangyayari saiyo now. just always be there for them and you will have sweet harvest later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you tita emer! tingnan mo yung yearbook pic ni cae, sabi ni ate pinky, kamukha daw ni ninang ela niya!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥