Total Pageviews

Monday, June 18, 2012

Papa, can you hear me? (For Papa on Fathers' Day 2012)

When I was a teenage girl, I suffered from severe dysmenorrhea (painful menstrual periods). If you are a female and you’re having it or used to have it, then I don’t have to explain. If you’re a male, you don’t want to hear or know about it.

The cramps used to wake me up at night. I would lie awake in cold sweat. Sometimes, the pain would be accompanied by diarrhea or just the urge to poop but once you’re sitting on the toilet, namimilipit sa sakit, wala naman.

I would crawl my way to my parents’ bedroom, and rouse my father from sleep. He didn’t have to ask what was going on. He would just lead me back to our room, go to the kitchen, and come back with a hot water bottle. I would place it on my abdomen and try to go back to sleep. Oh yes, I would finally sleep like a log, but the person I woke up would still be awake, watching over me.

I'm married now with two kids - my dysmenorrhea has disappeared a long time ago. But I will never get tired of telling this story.

For a year and a half now, I’ve been fatherless. People out there whose dads have passed away can relate to the feeling I am feeling. Nakakamiss di ba? Sometimes, as I walk home, I would suddenly remember him, or something would remind me of him, and para akong tanga na naiiyak sa daan. Sometimes, just before falling asleep at night, especially if I have problems, I would suddenly think of him and cry.

Oh no, my father was not perfect, I wasn’t a perfect daughter, either. I wasn’t able to give him the satisfaction of having a lawyer for a daughter, and maybe I will never be a lawyer. I’m sorry for that, Papa. But I can never be like you, you were exceptional and one of a kind.

Wherever you are now, I hope you’re at peace. Sa heaven, wala raw beer hehehe and sa heaven, hindi kailangan ng abogado (kasi mababait ang mga nandyan). Wala ring komedyante siguro diyan (kasi masasaya ang mga nandyan). Kaya wala kang trabaho diyan hahaha

I love you, Papa and I miss you so much. I may not have dysmenorrhea anymore but I still wish you were here with me, because there are pains that simply wouldn’t go away…

Happy Fathers’ Day to all fathers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥