Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Rainy Days and Mondays

 “(It) can’t rain all the time.”
-         - Eric Draven, The Crow (1994)

From @macmacshutterbug

What is it about the rain that makes you feel lazy...that makes you just want to curl up in bed and stay in your room forever. What is it about the rain that makes you feel blue, sad and gloomy?

I used to hate the rain. Rains have this effect on me. When it pours, I can't help but look out of the window and reflect on life and the stuff it's made of. It makes me sad. I remember when we were still kids, we would draw up images of the sun on the ground using chalk to make the rain go away. But we would all enjoy taking a rain bath.

As a grown-up, how I hated walking in the rain, with mud splattering on my legs or my jeans. And there are people who don’t know how to carry umbrellas, mabunggo ka kung mabubunggo. Ang hirap sumakay, ang daming commuters, traffic, siksikan. Ayoko ng masikip, ayoko ng maputik.

Yet there are happy rain memories. Like wading along flooded streets and holding hands with someone during my college days in UST. Name the street, baha for sure - España, P. Noval, Gov. Forbes (now Lacson), Dapitan. Wala kang ligtas. Sometimes we would stay late in school, at the AB Student Council office, or any vacant room, or just the hallways, waiting for the pouring to stop. Going home, a ride would be hard to find but we would keep on laughing just the same, making fun of our situation. And even now, I can still remember the days Alex (then my boyfriend) would pick me up in my office in Mandaluyong, we would share an umbrella with his arms around me, walking towards Crossing, wet but happy because we were together.

Rains also remind me of people I love, people I miss the most, people I would want to be with at that precise moment. How I wish I can protect them all from the torrent. That we would be safe and warm together, having something hot to drink or eat, reading a book, listening to music or watching a movie, sitting side by side, having a conversation or just enjoying the silence. Or if you're on the road, inside the car, with the wipers moving back and forth frantically, who cares as long as you are together. Never mind the violent flow outside. Just listen to its rhythm as you drive home safely, with music on, talking in low voices, or perhaps laughing together.

The rain makes me want to write. It seems ironic, but somehow it brings a warm nostalgic feeling, that it inspires you to share something of yourself with people.

So maybe…there’s another way to look at it...There’s something about the rain that reminds you to focus on the brighter side of life, count your blessings, and wait for the rainbow.

Does the rain make you feel the same?


~TheGoodGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥