Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Cooking and Writing and Healing

"We may not have gotten to share a lifetime together...but the memories...they're the best of my life..."
@LeaMichele

It has long been believed that whatever you are feeling at the time you are cooking will be absorbed by (or will be transferred to) the food. So you should be mindful not to be mad or sad when you cook, lest you want the diners to feel that way, too. Sabi ng matatanda, pag galit ka raw, or malungkot, wag ka na raw magluto. Although you can chop onions and they won't know that you're crying because of something else.


Remember the novel Like Water for Chocolate (Como agua para chocolate, 1992)? When Tita was baking the wedding cake (she was in love with the groom), she suddenly broke into endless tears. Tears fell into the batter and made it soggy. Everyone in the wedding who tasted and ate the cake was overcome with a terrible ache, sense of immense loss, and the same fit of longing that filled Tita's heart.

(If you are curious, watch it here https://youtu.be/lKUSWDTa_uM)



As for me, it works the other way. Cooking serves as my therapy. I want to cook to feel better. You may not always see me sad or depressed or troubled. This is something I have mastered to hide all my life. I can crack jokes and put up a brave front but you will not see through me. I appear “normal” during my down times because 'the show must go on.' Good thing I have cooking and writing. Whenever I have the blues, I will turn to cooking to chase them away. Like writing, cooking heals me. Cooking eases stress, mends broken hearts, helps overcome boredom, cures sleeplessness, and reduces anxiety. I cook my way against pain from loss, trauma, death. But instead of the food absorbing the negative vibes, the effect that cooking has on me will prevail. And the ones who will taste or eat it will feel all the love (and pride and joy) I have in my heart. Like how my writing makes you feel.


From my kitchen (and desk) to yours ❤

~TheGoodGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥