Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Quaint Dinner at Kusina ni Salud

On our trip home from Mauban, Alex suddenly felt hungry.

“Parang mapapa-Max’s tayo ah,“ he quipped. It was just past 4pm, and estimating our arrival in Tayabas, it would only be 5pm-ish.

“Early dinner?” I asked.

But by the time we reached Tayabas, Alex’s hunger was somehow dissipated by the adobong mani we bought the previous night. Maaga pa, we decided.

I suddenly remembered the Kusina ni Salud sign I’ve already seen thrice along the road. The name was familiar as I’ve seen it in food blogs and magazines. I told Alex it’s a popular Southern stopover, so why don’t we try it for a change. Actually, I don’t mind eating in fast food restos and carinderias during our trips but we were already curious and excited that we simply had to check it out.

From the highway, it was a 1.3km – drive. Malayo ba yun,  I asked Alex. Next thing we knew, there was a sign pointing to a gate on our left, so we drove in.

“Inay, mommy, ang sosyal yata.”
“Sosyal ba?”
“Naka-shorts lang tayo.”
“Di naman yata kailangang naka-gown. Hayaan mo na, may pera naman tayo.”

And so we finally went in and were captivated by the old-fashioned fixtures and furnishings. I love the mismatched chairs and the comfy dining tables that if you came in as a group, matatagalan ang kuwentuhan. Medyo madilim but it added to the over-all charm. You can even hear birds and crickets. I think it would be lovelier during daytime when you can see the plants.

I am quite adventurous when it comes to food but at that time, I was in no mood to try their carabao meat, even though I wanted salpicao sana. Alex insisted I should try out the seafood dishes but I wanted something which I could share with him.

We finally chose the SIZZLING! SISIG (their description: our version of the classic Pinoy barchow, inspired by the railroad side sisig of Pampanga, served on a hot! iron plate, topped with a fresh egg, chopped onions, green chilies and toasted garlic); and  LECHON KAWALI AT PINAKBET (their description: deep-fried, oven-dried, crispy pork belly set on a bed of garlic-sauteed northern Luzon vegetable stew of fresh okra, bitter gourd, eggplant, string beans and squash, flavor-infused with bagoong-isda). We also ordered the Chinese fried rice (good for 2 persons). I asked for the iced pandan tea but it was not available so I settled for watermelon shake, and Alex, iced tea as usual.

The portions were all right for the price. Perhaps if there were four of us, we could have finished everything. We took pictures before we left. Unfortunately, we forgot to have our kodakan outside, just below the Welcome sign. But we’ll probably be back anyway. The Sunday buffet lunch seems promising.

Visit http://www.kusinasalud.com and http://kusinasalud.multiply.com
KUSINA SALUD
Cell: 0921-7726985
Laguna: 049-5736155
kusinasalud@gmail.com
 

4 comments:

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥