Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Senior Moment

Last Monday was the first time (ever) Cae went through school enrollment all by herself.

Yes, she’ll be a high school senior this SY 2009-2010. As a mom who was forever doing all the enrollment for this young lady, I was quite proud of her initiative, “Ako na lang mag-e-enroll, Mommy.” And, taking note of her dad’s order, maaga pang natapos at diretsong umuwi, hindi na gumimik.
 
Wala lang, natuwa lang ako. It never entered my mind to delegate this task to her. For one, I like doing it myself, lalo na iisa lang naman siyang nag-aaral for the longest time. Even in paying her monthly tuition, minsan ko lang siya utusan, but the rest, ako pa din.
 
Alex and I are wondering what course Cae will take up in college. I think she prefers to go to La Salle like her Tita. We would have wanted her to go to UST as well but we now find that part of Manila quite far. I don’t think her dad would allow her to live in a dorm.
 
One time, she and Alex were talking about it when I butted in, “Ano, you like Accounting?” Before she could answer, may isa pang sumabad, “Like Tita?” Caehl asked. Akala mo naman, alam na niya ibig sabihin nun.
 
Communications or Multimedia Arts would suit Cae, taking into consideration her personality, skills, interests, and of course, the genes. But Alex says it might be wise to ask her to take up a BS degree, “Para mas ma-disiplina siya.” Pag nga naman arts-related, kikay na nga, lalo pang ma-u-unleash ang pagka-kikay.
 
Makes sense. This led us to a discussion of what should really be considered in choosing a college course. Alex cited examples of children whose parents chose their courses for them. While some have failed, “Marami din naming naging successful,” he insisted. It might be difficult at first, I remember him saying, but eventually, the child would cope.
 
English and Communications have always been my family’s forte. But for practical reasons, my siblings took up other courses. In my case, there was no doubt as to what I was going to take up in college. Even my high school teachers and school publication adviser knew. Lalo na parents ko. Wala ng discussion pa. It was just a matter of where to go. My choices were UP and UST. I was already enrolled in UST when I got the notice that I passed the UPCAT. Still, there were no regrets on my part. Looking back, I believe pang-UST talaga ang beauty at personality ko. It was where I met Alex, what more can I ask for?

3 comments:

  1. dalaga na talaga si cae! nwys, ano nga ba ang gusto nya itake sa college?

    ReplyDelete
  2. like tita? ang galing nung maliit ah? hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥