Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bashing Basyang

Around 1AM of July 14, I woke up to the sound of the howling wind. I was afraid the wind would tear our roof.

 

The lights flickered, and then it finally went out. Sh*t, brownout.

 

Alex was still up, checking out the dining room for leaks. “Unplug the refrigerator,” I told him. “Please prepare the rechargeable light, too. “

 

I took out a flashlight, some candles and matches. Then I remembered one more thing – water. I wasn’t sure if the power would be restored by daytime so we would have to fill up our containers.  As I was doing so, I heard Caehl talking to his dad. “Patay, nagising,” I thought.

 

As I went back to bed, I was still uneasy.

 

“What’s that?” Caehl said.

 

“The wind is blowing hard,” I said.

 

“Why?” he asked.

 

“May bagyo,” I replied.

 

“Ay, parang Baguio City in Benguet,” he said, laughing.

 

Then we fell silent, listening to the ugly and frightening sound.

 

I found it hard to sleep again. I was praying hard, over and over. “Please keep us safe, Lord. Keep us safe.”

 

Caehl was also still awake, pulling me close to him. “Mommy, beside Caehl,” he said. “Tell Daddy to turn off the flashlight.”

 

At least, it was cool enough not to wish for an electric fan. Luckily, Caehl is used to sleeping with the lights out, so he wasn’t bothered by the dark. I was worried the mosquitoes might attack anytime, so I put on some lotion on our legs and arms. I was also thinking of Cae in the other room. But if I would get up, Caehl would be roused even more, so I just hoped and prayed the darn mosquitoes would spare her.

 

The sound of the wind reminded me of Typhoon Milenyo (Typhoon Xangsane) in 2006 which produced strong winds and rainfall, downing power lines and causing mudflows in the Philippines. “Don’t let it be the same, Lord, please.”

 

Then it was time to get ready for work. “May pasok kaya?” I turned on the radio, and over at Super Radyo DZBB, DepEd announced the suspension of pre-school, elementary and high school classes in NCR and Region IV-A. Then, another report came. Yes, wala ding pasok ang UST. Alex was relieved. My niece wanted to know if they have classes and I told her, wala. I also texted her mom just in case they didn’t hear the announcement. I received texts from my brother and two kumares asking how we were.

 

On my way to the office, we shook our heads at the sight of fallen branches and leaves littering the streets. There was a slight commotion near the Southwoods exit. Turned out the southbound lane was flooded. The northbound lane was clear, though. In Filinvest, a traffic light post appeared to be damaged. Later, I learned that the glass doors of a bank in our building got smashed and the roof of our mini sports house was torn.

 

The weather seems to be fine now, although there is still no power and no water in our area. In spite of these inconveniences, I am comforted by the thought that we are safe and people cared to ask about us.

 

Goodbye, Basyang.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥