Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Don't let that moment pass you by

A recent work-related event reminded me of a popular, most popular I should say, quote from the movie My Best Friend’s Wedding.

Michael: Kimmy says if you love someone you say it, you say it right then, out loud. Otherwise the moment just... 

Juliane: Passes you by... 

We always thought we’d be here forever, that sometimes we set important things aside. Important things like spending time with your loved ones, showing them how much you care, or simply telling them you love them.

We always thought we would always have time to do all those things.

I am so bothered because lately, I feel Alex and I have been neglecting each other, trying to do “more important things” like focusing on work, getting office work done, looking for or completing sidelines, and attending to our children and our household needs. We are both so preoccupied with work, especially now that I have an upcoming major event and he has major writing jobs.

I sleep early, he sleeps late. I go home early, he goes home a little bit late. The only times we spend together regularly are those morning rides going to the office. Sometimes we catch up on each other’s activities. Sometimes we’re just silent during the 10- to 15-minute trip. When I get off the car, it’s always, “Babay, ingat.” And that’s it. There are days when we don’t even get to talk to each other, not even an SMS. Or if ever we would text each other, it’s always “Uwi na” or “Gabihin ka ba?”

During weekends, I wake up early, he wakes up late. Although we always spend Saturday mornings in the mall, doing our weekly grocery-shopping with Caehl, we have different weekend habits. I watch my favorite TV shows, he watches his. He watches DVD in the family room, I stay in our bedroom. I use the PC in the library, he dabbles on his netbook. My siesta time differs from his. Oh yes, we do go out and watch movies together, but always with Cae. And he doesn’t mind making me hatid-sundo if I have to be somewhere.

Why am I telling you this? Alex and I have been together for 19 years and we are comfortable in laughter, noise or silence, time and distance. Meaning we don’t have to talk if we don’t want to. We don’t have to be together all the time if we don’t want to. Alex and I know that we’ll always be here for each other and it doesn’t mean I love my husband less.

Maybe it’s the same comfortability level one shares with a longtime friend. You know that even if you don’t always see each other, even if you’re apart, you both know that you’ll always be friends, no matter what. Gets?

I may not be a sweet person and I always say that I show my love in a funny way. But I'm telling you right now, I don’t want the moment to pass me by. There are things happening around you that make you realize you just have to make time for the most important things – or persons, for that matter – in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥