Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My Day with WFMA



Bumping into Sir Jeff (Gonzales) one afternoon a month ago, after getting back from lunch, he asked me if I was free on May 17 for an event with WFMA (World Financial Marketing Alliance, Inc), one of our distribution partners. Thinking that he was trying to make bawi to me (after forgetting to invite me to the launch of the Insular – WFMA partnership last year), I said yes. Only to find out that it was a hosting stint. And out-of-town at that. He said that I will co-host it with Uye (Flores, a colleague). I said yes, thinking (again) that Uye has already agreed to it. Only to find out a week later that he declined as it was on a weekend.

Great, I’ll be on my own. Not that I’m not used to hosting solo, but the audience is external, and it would be my first time to meet them.  The event was actually the 6th Annual Convention of WFMA (May 16-18, 2014), and during the 3-day convention, Insular was given a 9am-12nn slot on the 2nd day. Jannette, Naj, and all the BDU people seemed to be assured I could do it, though. 

With the crazy weather and all, I began to worry about my throat. I can’t lose my voice, I kept telling Caehl. Why, he asked. Mahirap mag-host, I said. Reviewing my script the night before, Caehl was asking me what will happen (in the program), what the activities were.

Will you miss me?” he asked. I said, “Of course, I will miss you.” “No,” he insisted. “Don’t miss me, focus on your script.” That’s my boss.

The following day, Alex drove me to ILCC. “Mommy, kinakabahan ka ba?” he asked. “Hindi naman,” I replied. “Sana may video,”  he said. Natawa na lang ako.

Armed with my box of pei pa koa and my script, I rode the company car driven by Johann and accompanied by Mary, another colleague, and we were on our way to Taal Vista Hotel in Tagaytay. This is it.

As soon as we entered the venue, I felt an energy I couldn’t explain or describe. In the ladies room, people were smiling at us. A woman asked about our blue shirt. “Anong team kayo?” When I replied that we were from Insular, “Ah kaya pala bago ang kulay. Kasi kagabi nag-launch ng teams.” I nodded to her as if I understood.



Observing the people, they were generally friendly, lighthearted, and nice. People queued to have their photos taken with investment icon Sir Jeff. Our photo and coffee booths were a hit. Upon seeing me, Mr. Ho asked, “Ikaw ba ang maghohost? “Kinakabahan si Pam,” Sir Jeff joked. “It’s all in the mind,” he advised.

(Photo: Mary S. Templonuevo)

The program started at around 830am. The people were laughing and dancing like there was no tomorrow. After 6 tracks, they still wanted more. But it was time for the Insular Life “Walang Iwanan” program. Sir Wacky began to introduce me. “At may sarili silang host!” he said.




And it was my turn.

These people are the craziest I’ve ever seen. “Mga addict” is a more apt description. They know how to have fun, and they love to have fun. Gagawin lahat ng ipagawa mo, tatawanan lahat ng sabihin mo, at talagang sasagot sa bawat tanong mo. Sobrang game. Any host would have a wonderful time with this amazing audience.




Mr. Ho was the first speaker, with the topic “Man in the Mirror”, touching on Insular's Magandang Araw Movement, positivity and having a winning attitude.



Dustin serenaded the WFMA girls with an acoustic version of Jessie J’s Domino. You could hear the shrieks and swoons all over the ballroom. He started with one girl beside him and ended the song with 5 girls surrounding him. I asked Dustin to stay after his number.






“Dustin, single ka pa raw ba?” When he said yes, I teased him, “Ako naman eh, pwede namang complicated.”


(Photo: Mary S. Templonuevo)

Sir Jeff‘s presentation was on how to solicit bigger investments from targeted clients, citing the 3 major reasons why we should be selling bigger policies.



At some point, I said, “May nagtanong kay Naj, “Naj, single pa ba si Ms. Pam?” Awwww, hindi na po. In fact, my eldest is already 20 years old.” And before I could say another word, someone in the audience shouted, “Weh!” Nakakaloka.

We ended the program with the BDU people singing the Walang Iwanan jingle, a song especially composed for this purpose. The crowd sang and danced along with Naj, Anna, AJ and Dustin – and of course, me.

(Photo: Mary S. Templonuevo)

(Photo: Mary S. Templonuevo)

With high fives from Sir Chito and the rest of the WFMA bosses and the feedback I got from the audience, I wouldn’t mind doing this again for them. Just tell me when.

~TheGoodGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥