Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Street Smart

We finally had Kikay back.

As you may know, our beautiful 10-year old ruby red Honda City was hit by a Ford Escape last June 21, just a few streets from ours. It was a good thing that no one was hurt when it happened. Everything was taken care of the Escape’s owner (a multinational company whose insurance provider made it possible for the repair shop to pick up Kikay from our house). Except for the trip to the police station on that fateful afternoon, and Alex picking it up last July 12 from Sta. Rosa, we did not lift a finger – thank God.

It left us carless for three weeks, though. Going home, I don’t really care much about commuting because I am used to it. But going to the office in the morning, it’s really an effort on my part. It takes 45 minutes vs my usual 15 minutes as I have to take 2 rides - tricycle and van. Plus waiting time until the van is full. Plus traffic along Canlalay (BiƱan) going to SLEX. Plus smoke (and gasoline smell) getting in my hair and on my skin. Plus having to pack my heeled shoes along, and just wear flats on my way to the office.

Someone thought it might be a good source for new adventures for the TheGoodGirl. On my first few days, though, everyone in the van seemed to be asleep, and I was the only one who was up and restless. If this is the way things would go, I don’t have a tale to tell, I thought. But it seems that I am really a “story magnet”. There were stories and adventures to share, after all. 

Usually, I would catch the 630-645am trip, and more often than not, it would have the same set of passengers. Including two officemates. There’s this girl with her yaya (although the latter looks like an aunt) who at first would pay for fare for two, but later on, when it increased from Php45 to Php50, kandong na lang. I was beside them one time and the girl was kind of “malikot”. Her feet were up the whole time and I was afraid her rubber shoes would smear my light-colored dress. Moral: Don’t wear dumihin dresses when commuting. Para walang sisihan.

And there’s this man beside me who was paying for his fare, and he said he’s a senior citizen. The driver said, “Ows, di nga?” 

Pinatulan naman niya ang driver. 

“Oo, 60 na ako.” 

The driver replied, “Parang hindi naman halata. Parang 59 lang.” 

Tuwang-tuwa naman si Mr. Senior Citizen. 

LOL I was like, pati pala guys share this age joke among themselves. 

The same driver said, “Magtataas na po kami sa July 7 ha.” 

Mr. Senior Citizen asked me, “Kailan daw?” 

“Sa July 7 daw po,” I replied. “Sa Monday.” 

After a while, he asked for the time. “May 7(am) na ba?” 

I said, “Wala pa po, quarter to seven pa lang.” 

Then he laughed. 

I was puzzled, may nakakatawa kaya sa sinabi ko? O natural comedienne lang talaga ako? Hindi po ako si Gina, si Karen po.

Meanwhile...During our tricycle ride one morning, after dropping off Alex in the nearest shuttle station, I was surprised because the driver recognized me. 

“Ma’am, kumusta na po kotse ninyo?” He said he was there when the accident happened. So for the next 5 minutes, we were having a conversation, and I kind of enjoyed it.

Then, another morning, the tricycle driver was talking to the girl at the back ride. 

"College ka na ba?” he asked.  

I think the girl replied that she was going to Malayan Colleges (Cabuyao, Laguna). 

For the next ten minutes or so, I was listening to his “words of wisdom”. 

“Pano ang schedule mo? “Anong oras ka na nakakauwi?” 

Don’t worry about his questions. I didn’t think he’s a bad guy. Parang father-like lang

“Magkano tuition nyo?” “Magkano baon mo?” "Tapos, pagkain pa.” 

I couldn’t hear the girl’s reply over the vroom-vroom sounds. 

Then he said, “Ah ganun? Tapos wawalanghiyain lang ng iba ang magulang (nila).” 

He advised the girl to study hard and finish her schooling. “Mahirap (ang) hindi nagtapos ng pag-aaral.”

See, so you believe me now?

Jo, you were right. There was so much to write about and share. All you have to do is listen. I can’t say I’m missing my morning commuting days, but it was fun, too, while it lasted. Here’s to more tales and adventures of TheGoodGirl! Cheers to the commuting public!

~TheGoodGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥