Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 26, 2007

If A Child Lives With...

When we were still living with my parents, Alex and I had this If A Child Lives... poster. Was it a wedding gift, I don't remember now. I think we even left the poster when we moved to our own home. I am reminded of it whenever we would discuss Caitlin or our children and the way we raise them, that I had to search the Net for the complete text.

I've always believed that parenthood and raising children are not taught, but learned and that each child is different. It is a never-ending process, a work in progress. Tough job, right? But as it is, when my kids (or at least Caitlin who's 13 now) disappoint me or when she does something that saddens me, it's like a dent or a failure on my part as a parent. It's the same wherever you go, when the child does something good, or the other way around, it seems the parent is responsible for it. Remember the Lucky Me noodles commercial wherein the boy is constantly being asked, "Sino ang nanay mo (Who's your mother)?" 

Children Learn What They Live

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.

If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight.

If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.

If a child lives with shame, he learns to be guilty.

If a child lives with tolearnce, he learns to be patient.

If a child lives with encouragement, he learns confidence.

If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.

If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.

If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.

If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, He learns to find love in the world.

1 comment:

  1. amen to this. and probably, only when our kids have already become parents would we get to realize if we were ever successful in being parents ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥