Total Pageviews

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Outsiders

WHEN I STEPPED out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home... – The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton, copyright 1967

Whenever I remember this line and the movie Outsiders itself, I automatically miss my siblings. Or if I want to think about them, I just say this either out loud or only in mind, and I am instantly comforted.

Just yesterday, my officemates (or should I say department bosses) asked me why I miss(ed) them, seeing my Facebook status. I told them it was because I was worried about my sick youngest sister. I was also telling a cousin, Ate Doris, that even if there were four of us, parang ang konti pa din especially when you get older and you don’t get together as often as you want to.

I think it was just the other week when I poured my heart out to my older brother. The fact that he took time to see me despite his hectic schedule was comforting enough.  I was ready to be judged but somehow I knew he wouldn’t be that cruel. He listened patiently and made me feel more loved and supported. “Ano pa bang problema ang hindi natin kakayanin? Kung gulo lang, madami na tayong gulong pinagdaanan, kahit na madalas hindi natin kagagawan.”

“That’s what Kuyas are for,” he said. That night, I felt that nobody can ever hurt me with my siblings around. I told Alex the following morning, “Bago pa man dumating sa akin ang kalaban ko, dadaan muna siya sa tatlong kapatid ko.”

If you’re this lucky, too, then you know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥