Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Loyalty is Royalty


One trait that I want to instill in my children (I would like to believe that I am slowly but surely succeeding) and one that will be written on my grave as a trait that I am known for is loyalty. When I die, I want people to remember me as someone whose support has always been complete and constant.

People who know me know that I am loyal – to people, to brands, and to entities who have helped me, shaped me, or in one way or another, touched my life. And people who know me know that they can always count on me and I will defend them up to my last breath – with nothing expected in return.

When I like a brand, I will stick to it and will not switch, unless there’s a major reason for trying or choosing another. My son knows our favorite brands by heart – with our without a list. I think he could even anticipate what I would like or prefer. It doesn't matter if it’s expensive or cheap. There was one time (I think it was during the UST-NU game) when I had to ask him to do the grocery-shopping, and on the list was “1 bottle of bagoong.” Afterwards, he sent an SMS, apologizing because they happened to buy 2 bottles. He said Nanay did not realize he already picked one, and she picked another. Later on, I asked him, “What did you choose?” “The cheaper one,” he said.

As for institutions or business entities, once I get used to it or become familiar with the service and the experience, I will go back and go back   - renewing subscriptions, not changing channels, ordering the same food, requesting for the same server, or buying the same things. Old habits die hard, they say. With my Longchamp bags and my Havaianas collection as proof, need I say more. Add to this - books from the same authors. Kung mabibili ko lang lahat - well, slight :)

My daughter is a loyal friend. I see her helping her friends and being with them through ups and downs, in good times and bad times. She stands up for her friends and I would like to believe that they’d do the same for her.

Caehl is also careful in mentioning Globe's competitor when her Tita is around. When somebody tells him he's smart, he says, "No, I'm Globe."

An officemate of my husband tagged him in a Facebook post/link, wherein he and his other friends made fun of GMA and its reporters. I politely asked him to untag Alex. I wrote, “Perhaps you are not aware that (we) are GMA 7 supporters, and it’s not nice to see this and the comments on his wall. I hope you understand.” Yes, that’s how far I can go.

I am proud to be a die-hard fan, but not a fantard. There is a difference between the two. A fantard, according to www.urbandictionary.com, is a combination word of "fan" and "retard". It is usually used to describe (an) over-enthused or hardcore retard fan. Although I can be a person who will take the bullet for someone I love, I know when to accept shortcomings and faults, compromise, let go, and give up useless battles. There are people who are simply troublesome and who just want to create conflicts. Arguing or debating with these people who don’t matter or who don’t make any sense at all will lead to nowhere. So I might as well give it up.

Of course, I love my schools. I am loyal to UST because this is where I found my place under the sun. I love my course and I will forever cherish my college experience. I love UST because my husband and I are Thomasians. We bleed black/white black/gold. And it’s a bonus that my daughter is also a Thomasian. And we can all bleed to death :)

I am loyal to my employer. I love Insular Life. For 17 years, it has helped me become what I am now. And I owe a lot to this Company which has been a blessing to me and to my family for many years.

Nowadays, they say it’s difficult to find a loyal person. “Pera-pera lang yan.” It might sound sad or bad, but it’s true. Loyalty can be bought, or worse, there’s no such thing as loyalty anymore. Loyalty has almost gone extinct.

For me, loyalty is not cheap, it’s expensive. And rare. American industrialist Philip Armour said, “There is one element that is worth its weight in gold and that is loyalty. It will cover a multitude of weaknesses.”

And loyalty is still a good thing – like hope. And no good thing ever dies.

~TheGoodGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥