Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

An early Christmas gift from the Tuloy sa Don Bosco children

Today is Insular Life's 98th founding anniversary.
 
As in the previous years, we started the day with a Thanksgiving Mass, followed by a breakfast (rice, pork steak, daing na bangus, salted eggs, and banana and ensaymada for dessert).
 
While we were eating, around 20 children (ages 13-15, I think) from the Tuloy Sa Don Bosco serenaded us with mostly Christmas songs, complete with choreography.
 
Actually, when they arrived, they immediately reminded me of Caitlin and her friends. As soon as they started singing, I started crying, too. I thought of Cae and of the many things she has, and of the many blessings coming her way, without her knowing it, and sometimes, without her appreciating it. These children in front of me come from a variety of problem backgrounds, including domestic violence and abuse. Yet, all I can see and feel are happiness in their faces and voices.
 
Even though we're not rich, and we don't have much, as my ex-boss Ana said, "We really are blessed whichever way we look at it." At least, we have a roof above our heads, Cae goes to a good school, Alex and I have our jobs and our family is complete. I just hope my children won't take all of these for granted.
 
Thank you for the early Christmas gift, kids. Thank you for your lovely songs. I was 98 times blessed nung nag-mano kayo sa akin.
 
(Tuloy Sa Don Bosco Foundation, established in the nineties by Fr. Rocky Evangelista, a Salesian priest, has become a real home for hundreds of streetchildren. In 2001, the Foundation moved into new and bigger headquarters, a 4.5-hectare Street Children Village in Alabang. You can reach them at Tuloy Foundation, Inc. Tuloy sa Don Bosco Streetchildren, #1 San Jose Village cor. Alabang-Zapote Road, Muntinlupa City, Philippines 1770)

4 comments:

  1. happy anniversary IL! nakaka-miss talaga ang IL and the special community projects that are being carried out. .I miss going to Tuloy sa Don Bosco to tutor the kids there. I could still remember the boy I used to teach there..his name was Nesty...it was just so sad that I heard that he ran away from Tuloy to go back to the streets...I hope he had a change of heart and realized what a blessing it was to have a place like Tuloy that helps these young kids have a brighter future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ai! thanks sa greeting. masaya pa din dito, with or without bonus hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this, pammy. na-senti ako. just last night i was in a cafe and recognized the genteel face of VRA on a newspaper in the rack. i was smiling while reading the interview/article (for IL's anniv)... at the same time kinda senti. there was a picture of the breakfast with VRA and the december birthday celebrants. aba'y nandun si bjhee syemps! i miss my IL family/friends... :`-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. better late than never :-) thank you for your aginaldo, too. the kids really prepared for that morning's event, and i am very thankful, too, for MASD's support. next year ulit, ha? :-)

    and you're right, our kids are very much blessed, and especially yours because as i have already told you before, they have you and alex for parents :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥