Total Pageviews

Monday, February 16, 2009

A Valentine Promise

Saturday started with Cae rounding up her friends for a play rehearsal at home, and us paying her February tuition fee (yahoo, one more month to go). We had breakfast at McDonalds with Caehl who joined our weekly trip to SM Hypermarket Muntinlupa. 
 
Later in the afternoon, Alex and I went to Makati for our Valentine date. "Baka traffic,” I was telling him. But since we (especially I who have become an Alabang girl) seldom go to the Makati malls, sige na nga din. Ang hirap tumakas kay Caehl, who was hurrying to slip into his Crocs, akala niya kasama siya.
 
We had an early dinner at CPK (mushroom ravioli, sausage pizza) and "revisited" Greenbelt afterwards. Although we were there for lunch a week ago with Cae and her friends, it seemed like ang tagal ko nang hindi nakita ang Greenbelt. Sure, I go to Makati once in a while but mostly on official business, so technically noon lang uli ako nakabalik, and this time we were in no hurry.
 
Makati brings back sad memories, actually - old and unfriendly ghosts, painful realizations and associations, mahabang kuwento. I was trying to mentally push them away while we were walking hand in hand under the Greenbelt lights. My mental walis was at work that night. Busing-busy.
 
Next stop was Greenbelt 3 to watch Valkyrie. The lines were long, as expected. We checked out Glorietta's schedule and decided to catch the 8pm screening. If that wasn't suspense, then I don't know what to call it. I cried during the execution scene. What was I doing? Last year, when we stayed at home to watch the Amazing Race finale (yup, it was our Valentine date), I also remember crying when Marc and Rovilson lost.
 
Which made me think of how we celebrated Valentine's the previous years. How could we ever recall each one of them, when we already had a lot?
 
There was a time Alex sent me roses in our Makati office, it was in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.
 
Then in 2005, we ended up in Macahora Bar in Pacita, giving up on jampacked Alabang.
 
2006 was at the Poolside, Bellevue Hotel. It was actually a challenging period for me and Alex, and it made the evening more meaningful for us both. And yes, we came out of such challenge alive, kicking and together - thank God.
 
The following year, we had dinner at Leslie's Tagaytay. The beef (bulalo, Leslie’s specialty) was so tender but masarap pa rin daw ang nilagang baka ko, sabi ni Alex.
 

Alex and I will celebrate our 17th anniversary as a couple this year. Past Valentine dates may have been perfunctory, or wala lang, masabi lang na nag-date or nag-celebrate. Or part of a routine. Eh sino pa ba ang ka-Valentine ko or ka-Valentine niya di ba, may meaning man o wala.

 

Valentine’s or no Valentine’s, each day is now more meaningful for us both. As I have told Alex, we’re nearing our forties, and we’d be lucky to see through another forty years together. I certainly don't want to waste another second away from my husband. And I want us to spend and enjoy every moment together.

 

It doesn't mean we won't argue or fight or disagree anymore.  Sure, I’ll still get mad at him. Sure, I’ll still get on his nerves.

 

But we’ll do it in style.

 

Happy Valentine’s, Daddy.  Everyday, I love you.


13 comments:

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥