Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Where words leave off, music begins

You know what music is? 
God's little reminder that there's something else besides us in this universe, a harmonic connection between all living beings, every where, even the stars.
 -  August Rush, 2007

My most favorite scene/s in the movie. So touching. When Louis Connelly (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) and Evan Taylor (Freddie Highmore) met for the first time and played together, not knowing they are father and son.

I have been with Alex for 23 years now, but I didn’t know that he could play the piano so well. Well, I always knew they had this old piano in his brother’s house, but I didn’t know that he had it in him. He is known after all as a writer first and foremost, and not a musician (although he sings).

But for the past months, he would spend a lot of time on the keyboard, we have this electric organ at home which we bought for no reason at all. Alex would play pieces such as Beethoven’s Für Elise, and Mozart’s Einekleine Nachtmusik, and Rondo Alla Turca. I could hear his music from our bedroom. Sometimes it lulls me to sleep. I feel calm and comforted. And loved. But sometimes it wakes me up. Especially Rondo Alla Turca. Dad, don’t play so loud, I couldn't sleep, I would tell him. I need to sleep!

His playing must have inspired our son a lot. Caehl would Google the pieces his dad plays. And he either watches YouTube videos featuring the song/s, or just listen to them. When Alex would play fast, he would tell me, “Daddy is playing the fast version.” Then he would imitate his dad. Caehl even downloaded on his tab an app wherein he is simulating piano-playing.

One time, I heard the opening bars of Für Elise, then it stopped. I heard our helper talking to Caehl. From my room, I shouted, “Who was that? Was that Caehl?” I thought it was Alex. I was amazed. My son could play. I sing (I used to be a Glee Club officer), but I don’t play any instrument. I once took informal guitar lessons when I was a kid, but simply put, I don’t have the talent. The closest I could get to being “classical” was when I had this dream, sort of like travelling back in time, I was standing behind Johannes Brahm on the piano, with his back to me, composing his now famous Brahm’s Lullaby. I was there, I swear I was there. Just a little side note: I later learned that it was dedicated to his friend, Bertha Faber, when the latter gave birth to her second son. Brahms had been in love with Bertha and "constructed the melody of the Wiegenlied to suggest, as a hidden counter-melody, a song she used to sing to him." How romantic.

Then summer came. I don’t know who had the idea first, but it was a good one to enroll Caehl to piano lessons.

His lessons are almost over, three more sessions to go before their recital. His teacher said he is a fast learner. On Day 1, nasa page 20 na siya ng book nila. Alex accompanied him one time and he said Caehl seemed to be enjoying it. During our discussion, his teacher said she thought Caehl would quit, as he would sometimes throw a tantrum, especially when he couldn’t “master” it. “He is a perfectionist,” she said. He would play over and over again until he is satisfied. Hindi pwede sa kanya yung “Pwede na yan.” And typical of Caehl, he would just have to know the rationale of everything he does and studies. He would have to understand the reason behind everything. And he would enjoy it more. So sometimes, in the middle of the session, they would stop to talk, and then resume.

As I have said, this time I won’t take the credit. It's all Alex’s. And I thank God for his music. And for this gift. It’s a beautiful thing. And I am grateful that Caehl accepted the gift of music, too. I can’t get over this wonderful feeling. That we are able to have him experience it. That we are able to share this with him. I write. Alex and I are writers – but as Heinrich Heine put it: "Where words leave off, music begins."

In the movie August Rush (2007), August Rush said in his opening voice-over: Listen. Can you hear it? The music. I can hear it everywhere. In the wind... in the air... in the light. It's all around us. All you have to do is open yourself up. All you have to do... is listen.

Thank you for listening.

~TheGoodGirl



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥