Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thomasian ako (COUNTDOWN TO 2011: 400 YEARS OF UNENDING GRACE)

Submitting my daughter’s USTET application some few weeks ago, I posted a shout-out on how impressed I was that it took us only 20 minutes or so (including queuing time) to finish the task.

Good thing UST has an online registration, giving the applicants a Reference Number in advance, so much so that when you physically submit the documents, you won’t have to wait or spend hours to get that test permit.

Yesterday, we were there again, this time to accompany Inna, Cae’s best friend, who was also submitting her application. Along with two other guy friends, we endured the 2-hour-or-so bloody traffic and I was praying hard that we’d make it to the Admissions Office before 5pm. Every time the light turns green, I would literally row in my seat, sa dami ng sasakyan, lagi kaming naabutan ng red light. Darn. I just joked around most of the times para hindi ma-stress ang driver namin (who else but Alex), cheering “Go USTe, go go USTe.”

We made it fifteen minutes before closing time. Ang bilis pa din mag-process. There were, I think, around 4-5 kids, aside from us.

Aldous was asking me, “Ano po ba course ninyo?”
I said, “AB.”
“Ano pong major ninyo”
“Journalism.”
“Wow!”

Since Inna’s course options include AB, I pointed to St. Raymund’s Building, “Ayan ang building namin noon, “ and to some AB girls, “Yan ang uniform namin.”


We also showed them the UST Quadricentennial Square and Alumni Park. “Wala pa yan nun,” recalling that the UST coop used to occupy a portion of the area. I also pointed toward Tinoko Park where my barkada and I would make tambay, and where Alex and I used to stay before going home.

We also showed Cae the UST-Multi-deck Carpark and Food Center, near the building which houses the College of Tourism and Hospitality Management.

Next stop was Plaza Mayor (the grounds fronting the ever-so-imposing Main Building) which is a sort of a tourist attraction. A lot of kids were waiting for their turn to take photos beside the U-S-T.  Which we also did, of course.


We sat in the benches for a while, laughing and exchanging stories with the kids.

Cae asked, “Da, saan ba yung sinasabi mong park na niligawan mo si Mommy?”
I told her we already passed by it.
Aldous joined, “Yung itinuro ko sa iyo?”
Yung parang may Stonehenge?” Cae asked.

I also told them the closest malls then were SM North EDSA and SM Centerpoint (Sta. Mesa).

Afterwards when we all felt hungry, we decided to check out Asturias Street. Before exiting the gates, we took some more pictures. Rina’s Gift Shop was still there. Long before there were Jollibee, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Starbucks, there were Janet’s (I love their sizzling meals, baked mac and beef-and-mushroom), and Mike’s (Southern Fried Chicken meal), and Tapsi (the ‘silogs and lechon paksiw). But only the latter remained. We just took a quick peek inside and yes, it still does serve beer and the place still reeks of cigarette smoke.

We finally chose The Pit (what a pun), and marveled at the student budget-friendly meals.

As we walked back to the car, we passed by several fish ball vendors and I espied one of them counting his earnings for the day, and there were several hundred bills!

I told Alex and Cae, “Ang daming pera ng mama. Mas madami pa yata sa akin. Magtinda na lang kaya ako ng fish balls dito.”

We passed by P. Noval where Alex used to wait for his ride (going to Cubao). Lopez Canteen is still alive.  And there were still some familiar establishments along España.

Ang sarap pag nasa sariling bahay ka.

I love you, USTe.

3 comments:

  1. Kahit lingo-lingo pa tayo bumalik! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe :) even if i didn't study there, UST has a place in our hearts coz the good Dominicans who ran the hospital really took good care of my mom until she went....

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥