Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Our own fight against Dengue (A list of mosquito repellent products)

As of September 15, 2010, it was reported that at least 534 Filipinos have died due to dengue fever, which is a 40 per cent rise from last year for the same period. The number of dengue patients / cases keep on increasing each day.

Dengue (fever) is transmitted by infected females of the day-biting mosquito Aedes aegypti, which breeds primarily in man-made containers such as flower vases, old rubber tires, rain barrels and other items that collect rainwater.

In our town, San Pedro, Laguna, although there is no outbreak declaration yet, health officials “noted the steady increase of dengue incidence since January.”

Our homeowners association spearheaded a clean-up drive and fumigation as counter-measures.

In the workplace, at least three officemates reported dengue cases involving their families and relatives.

Alarmed at these statistics and reports, I would always remind my helpers to throw away water being collected (in pails or basins) when it rains due to leaks, and in the laundry area. My angels spray when we’re not around (my son is asthmatic) and clean up our rooms and the living room thoroughly.

So far, we’ve tried (and will try) the following:

   1. Electric plug-in Baygon device – this costs Php50 a piece and comes with free mats. You can buy refills in boxes of 30s at Php60/box. A single mat can protect a 12ft x 12ft room up to 8 hours.

   2. Popular sprays such as Baygon and Kwik. I bought another brand, PestOff, yesterday just to test it. Buy the odorless or orange-scented variants.

   3. Human Heart Nature Citronella Bug Spray – ordered from an officemate (Maricel) at Php79.75 (50ml). Once you’ve used up a bottle, add some water to the remaining oils, shake and spray it anywhere in the room.

   4. HomeLife Shoo! bugs wristband – I bought a box of 6’s from Ace Hardware. I was actually looking for the colorful baller-type I once bought in the same store but couldn’t find it anymore. I forgot what brand it was (Bug-Off?), but anyway, I am trying HomeLife. Shoo! bugs is a brown wristband which you can also wear as an anklet up to 48 hours. You can store it in the resealable plastic bag if you’re not going to use it. Other HomeLife anti-mosquito products sold at Ace: 180g Citronella smoke-free mosquito repellent wax, and its 50g Citronella Travel Companion variant. Check this out: http://huierya.en.alibaba.com/product/336239945-210408091/180g_Citronella_Mosquito_Repellent.html

   5. PestOff! Anti-mosquito patch – comes in 5 patches per box. I bought this in Shopwise but we haven’t used it. The box says it gives 12 hours of protection and is deet-free. The patches can be placed in clothes, bags, chairs, bed, table, and strollers inside or outside the house.

   6. Human Heart Nature Eucalyptus Hand and Foot Salve – of course, this is not a mosquito-repellent product but I'm trying this (in small amounts) on my son’s legs. I don’t know if it’s true that mosquitoes don’t like the eucalyptus smell, but what the heck.

   7. Essens Moisturizing Insect Repellent Lotion for Kids (150ml) – contains extra virgin coconut oil and colloidal oatmeal, andiroba oil, citronella and lavender. I don’t know where my former boss gets it, in bazaars I think.

   8. Dried lanzones skins – after enjoying the lanzones fruit, put the skins (exclude the seeds) under the sun to dry and when they’re dry, you can burn them and use them like a katol (mosquito repellent coils). I remember my father doing this when we were kids, so I'm carrying on the tradition. The lanzones, when burned, smells nicer than the coils.

  9. Downey antibac – I am loyal to Del but I am willing to try this.

There is no 100% guarantee that we’ll be safe from dengue, but at least we’re trying our best and doing what we can than doing nothing at all.

Sources:
http://topnews.ae/content/24179-philippines-death-toll-dengue-reaches-534
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/regions/view/20100822-288235/Dengue-cases-shoot-up-in-Laguna-Albay
http://humanheartnature.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=36
http://humanheartnature.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=42

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥