Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Amazing Brace

As expected, it wasn’t easy.

After we got her brace from the shop in QC, and after trying it on, Cae has been on and off crying (in fact, up to this very moment).

I could understand her, her Dad and I sympathize with her but what we want to tell her and let her feel was we’re doing everything we can for her dextroscoliosis. We don’t want it, either and we don’t want it to hinder her lifestyle. But what can we do? We don’t want her condition to worsen. Well, we could opt not to let her wear it, it’s simpler. It’s cheaper. But is it the right thing? Regrets are always at the end, they say, and as parents, we certainly don’t want to look back and tell ourselves we did nothing, and that we could have done something.

That night, Cae was crying her heart out. Her brother was so bothered he couldn’t sleep. “Ate’s crying.” He went out of the room and recited some nonsensical stuff (to entertain her sister, he said afterwards), that Alex told him, “Go to sleep, it’s already 11:30.”

I called up my folks the following day to ask for help. “Please talk to Cae if you had a chance. Please help us make her understand that we’re trying to help her, not hurt her."  I felt that if other people would encourage her, not just us, she just might listen. I also kept on texting my siblings, my friends, and my officemates. This is my only way to express my own pain. I couldn’t cry in front of her, even if sometimes I want to cry out loud. I want to show her that I'm strong and that with my support, she can be stronger.

The first time she wore it in school for the entire day, she was complaining of the pain under her arms. I kept on comforting her, and praying to our dear God to be with her. I was worried, scared. What if she couldn’t ride the jeepney? What if something happens to her during her LRT ride? I didn’t tell her I texted one of her friends to assist her if she needs it. “Paki-alalayan na lang si Cae,” I said to Shae who immediately replied that she would.

That week, Alex and I were proud of her. She seemed more determined than ever to go through it all. We had to change our routine to accommodate removing it before she takes a bath one hour before her actual wake-up time, and then putting it on before she goes to school. However, there were moments when her courage seems to waver. Like the time her Harry Potter bed sheet had a tear because of the screws in her brace. And yesterday, her shirt. She was once again swearing and complaining.

This morning, it took us a while to get her out of the bed. She’s due for a check-up. She didn’t want to get up. She was in a foul mood even up to the time we were waiting in the clinic. She and her dad were fighting, as Alex kept on reminding her to sit up straight. I told her, “Go ahead, let’s just waste our time and money trying to get you well. And here you are, you don’t want to listen to your dad.”

But God is good. Dr. Pineda told us he was happy with how her body was responding to the brace. Truly, there was a “correction” going on, and we should keep it up. It was the first time I saw him smile at us. He gave us encouragement and hope, and most importantly, he asked Cae’s cooperation, “Pagtiyagaan na natin ito ha? (Let's just be more patient about this, ok?)”

We went home in high spirits, well, at least that how I felt. There’s hope for her and for us. And if indeed we keep it up, we will win this battle.

God is amazing. Thank you for all the prayers. They are working for Cae. Please keep on praying for her.

2 comments:

  1. awww, di ko alam na ganun kalala scolio nya na kelangan ibrace. buti naman umiigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please include Cae in your prayers, Ate (Ninang) Ela!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. Good Vibes ♥